All employees of an organisation whether full-time or part-time are entitled to be provided a written statement that clearly identifies the key particulars of their employment, that is provided that their employment is to last for more than one month. The statement of particulars must be provided to the employee within two months of commencement of employment unless the employee is going to work abroad for more than one month within the first two months of starting their employment.
The employment particulars relate to any document, or selection of documents that inform the employee about the details of their employment with the organisation. Current legislation requires that the principle statement must provide the following details;
• The name of the employer
• The employees name, job title or a description of the role
• The date employment commenced
• If any previous employment/role counts towards a period of continuous employment
• Details of the hours of work
• The remuneration details including the date of pay
• Holiday entitlements
• Details of the locations that the employee is expected to work from.
All other necessary employment details can be provided to the employee in writing within separate documentation.
Legislative Changes from April 2020
The Employment Rights (Employment Particulars and Paid Annual Leave) (Amendment) Regulations 2018 provides that all employees commencing employment on or after the 6th April 2020 must be provided the principle statement of employment particulars on the first day of employment. This is regardless of whether employment is to last only one week or longer.
Additionally, from the 6th April 2020 the information to be provided within the principle statement increases to include the following supplementary requirements;
• Details of other categories of paid leave, for example, maternity leave
• Details of any probationary period
• Details of all remuneration, not just pay details
• Which specific days an employee is required to work
• Training provided by the employer
Please note that any employee who has commenced employment prior to the 6th April 2020 can request a new principle statement with the revised new requirements which the employer must comply with.
Should you have any questions or queries regarding these details please do not hesitate to direct them to us via our contact page details.